Want to Participate in The Next Chapter?

Our Soul Coaching journey is now complete. If you're travelling through the book on your own, please feel free to visit the posts below for inspiration and encouragement

If you're interested in participating in future sessions of The Next Chapter, be sure to sign up for my monthly newsletter and you'll be among the first to get the details!

I'm looking forward to sharing more adventures with you.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day 5: Clutter ~ Energy Up/Energy Down

from Suzie

In the last chapter, Denise explains how the lens we look through affects what we see. Yesterday I observed an event that illustrates the power of the lens.

The subway. A group of 13-year-old boys noisily enter the train. An older man reaches for his bag, which takes up the seat beside him. For a moment it looks like he's going to lift it so that one of the boys can sit down. What actually happens is he hugs it tightly to his side, protective.

At the same time, a young woman looks to the seat beside her and notices a few little pieces of paper left on the seat. These scraps are not hers, but she picks them up to make room for a boy. And when she does, she notices the paper is neatly folded and says "Open me." She opens this little note, and whatever is inside makes her smile.

What lens are you going to wear today?


19 comments:

Claudia said...

I used to think I was a person that didn´t like routines because people kept telling me I needed them and, being a rebel of sorts, I didn´t want to conform. But I have come to realise that life is much easier if I make myself little to-do lists and stick to them. When my home is welcoming (and I don´t mean perfect) I can go out into the world with a positive outlook, with a smile on my face, ready to see the good things around me.

Dagboekdingen said...

Just two pictures.... energy up - energy down

Serena Lewis said...

Another good day for me ~ :)

Genie Sea said...

A story with impact! To the man, the train was cramped and invasive. To the woman, the train was open and welcoming. And the universe responded. Open me!

Thank you Jamie - Very inspiring! :)

Sherrie St. Cyr said...

Today I am going to look through the lens of compassion - especially when looking at myself. I only made 2 big commitments when I started this process and I've only managed to keep one of them. So I'll celebrate the one I've kept, forgive myself for the one I've struggled with, and just keep going!

Suzie Ridler said...

Really?! What an interesting story. I'm so curious as to what was on that piece of paper. That reminds me, I want to get Moo cards and leave them places like you do.

I'm actually looking forward to clearing the clutter today. I'm going to tackle my closet. :)

Caroline said...

Today is starting to feel great. Last night I was feeling kind of funky... But this is all very good!

Lisa said...

I love the subway story. I think Kerry Smith must've left that note! Since today was easy, I'm going to go out and write little love notes and leave them on people's windshields downtown.

Aurora said...

i have such resistance to clearing out clutter right now!this story made me think I need to re-frame how/why I am resisting...

Romana Mirza said...

I just wanted to say this: Throughout central Canada and the US northeast and upper midwest regions the weather this week has been exceptionally beautiful - how fitting for air week!

Leila Anasazi said...

I would LOVE to hear specifically from some of you fellow artists--especially collage artists--how are you approaching the clutter clearing?

I generally do pretty well with keeping de-cluttered (big Virgo) but my "art supplies" occupy a lot of space, and there are many that sure can be categorized as "I MIGHT need this someday".

I love what Denise points out about the negative affirmation about holding onto stuff b/c it might be needed someday ... BUT. I love having the "right" tidbit to add to my work (someday), and I have a lot of things awaiting ...

What do you do/think?

Kelly said...

I wish I knew what that note said that made her smile...

Mjfontaine said...

Again another powerful day of revelations....:)

Judi said...

I am truly amazed at the difference that results from just a little clutter removal. Makes me want a dumpster of my own to throw the rest into!!

Tori said...

Busy day. I wasn't sure if I was going to get a post up!

I love the subway story. If I lived near a place with public transportation I think I would love to leave little notes for people to find.

Anonymous said...

What a great day full of energy! I hope everyone else is feeling as energized.

Snap said...

Hi everyone,
I've been a little slow in joining you, but I think you'll understand when you visit me! Go with the flow! I've enjoyed reading your comments and visiting your blogs.

Samosas for One said...

Is it too late for me to join this group?

Anonymous said...

finally....I'm leaving my link. what a day! A wonderful day though and I appreciated having today's affirmation as resistance tried to creep my direction and schedules felt full and chaotic. I kept repeating it and made it through and I realized I had a wonderful day after all!